The Edomites were descendants of Esau who lived south of the Dead Sea. The nations of Edom and Israel shared the same ancestor, Issac, and the same border. But the Israelites looked down on the Edomites because they had intermarried with the Canaanites.
Esau married with the following women:
- Adah, daughter of Elon the Hittie
- Oholibamah, daughter of Anah and granddaughter of Zibeon the Hivite
- Basemath, daughter of Ishmael and sister of Nebaioth
Esau had acquired in the land of Canaan together with his family, away from his brother Jacob. Esau moved to settle in the hill country of Seir instead.
Sons of Eliphaz (firstborn of Esau) became chiefs of the following clans: Teman, Omar, Zepho, Kenaz, Korah, Gatam and Amalek
Sons of Reuel became chiefs of the following clans: Nahath, Zerah, Shammah and Missah.
Sons of Oholibamah (Esau’s wife) became chiefs of the following clans: Jeush, Jalam and Korah.
Sons of Seir the Horite became the chiefs: Lotan, Shobal, Zibeon, Anah, Dishon, Ezer and Dishan.
Rulers of Edom
Kings who reigned in Edom before any Israelite king reigned:
- Bela （比珥）son of Beor named his city Dinhabah （亭哈巴）
- Jobab （比拉）son of Zerah
- Husham （戶珊）from the land of Temanites
- Hadad （哈達）son of Bedad who defeated Midian in the country of Moab, he named his city Avith
- Samlah （桑拉）from Masrekah（瑪士利加）
- Shaul （掃羅）from Rehoboth （利河伯）on the river
- Baal-Hanan （巴勒哈南）son of Acbor
- Hadad named his city Pau (wife: Mehetabel, daughter of MeZahab)