Today, commander is going to talk about another parable Jesus said about the kingdom of God. It is the parable of Mustard Seed. Let’s have Jed read the Bible Matthew 13:31-32 for us: “31 He presented another parable to them, saying, “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and sowed in his field; 32 and this is smaller than all other seeds, but when it is full grown, it is larger than the garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and nest in its branches.”
Thank you, Jed for reading the Bible verse for us! Well, hmm, what is the kingdom of heaven? What the mustard seed? I think my friend Bobby and Debbie have the same questions, as well.
(— Puppet Show Bobby and Debbie —)
Bobby and Debbie just came to ask commander about Jesus’ parable of the mustard seed. They have a question why Jesus said the kingdom of God is within us. Well, who is the king in the kingdom of God? Yes, Elijah said Jesus is the king. And He control the whole kingdom. Now commander ask you: when you believe in Jesus, who is in your heart as the king? Yes, Jesus is in your heart and He is your king, you are to obey His commands, right? Then tell commander since Jesus is your king in your heart, are you the kingdom of God? Yes, all the believers who have accepted Jesus as their Savior, are part of the kingdom of God. And our faith are the mustard seeds. Jesus said it is smaller than all other seeds. Now commander have several kinds of seeds for you to compare. This one the biggest is the pumpkin seed, and these ones are orange seed, and this is the seed of the snap pea, then how about this one? Anyone know? Yes, it is the apple seed. Now the smallest one in the plate, can you see them? Yeah, they are the mustard seed, now you know why Jesus said it is smaller than all other seeds. However, when they are sowed into the soil and grow up, do you know how big they will be? This big! Waah! amazing, isn’t it?
The tiny seed – the mustard seed stands for your faith, it is very tiny even no one other than yourself can see it. However, when it grows up, you will be able to become a powerful person God can use to glorify the kingdom of God. If you have a full faith unto the Lord Jesus, and fully trust in Him, God will use you to accomplish a glorious work for Him that many people will benefit from you like the birds come to your branches to nest. Remember the little boy with 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish, because of his faith, his tiny food the Lord Jesus multiplied it showing a great miracle to feed 5 thousand men plus many women and children. This is an example of small seed turned out to be a big tree. Do you know the story of Daniel in the lion dan? Daniel is just a small person, he was captured to Babylon, however, he had a good faith unto God and fully trust in God, and was determined to do everything in glorying God, then God made him a great person in Babylon and Persia that God’s glory was revealed through Daniel within the empires.
Then an important question, how the seed can grow health and become a big tree? Commander have 4 points for you to follow:
- Good soil: the faith is planted in your heart, be sure your heart is soft and humble, so that the faith can grow in your heart.
- You need sunshine: a plant surely needs sunshine to grow, your faith need spiritual sunshine to grow, as well. What is the sunshine to your faith? The Holy Spirit is the sunshine. You always need the Holy Spirit to give you strength and guidance, just like sunshine to the plant.
- You need water: without water the plant will die, likewise, our faith without water will die, as well. Then what is the water for our faith? God’s word is the water to your faith, which give your faith refreshed. So, remember, in order for your faith to grow, make a good habit for daily Bible reading just like a plant need daily watering.
- You need air: Suppose I cover the plant to keep it from receiving the fresh air, what happed to the plant? It definitely will die. Our faith needs breathing – the prayer is the breathing for our spiritual life. That is why Jesus wanted us to pray constantly. Make our prayer as natural as breathing in our life, so that our faith has sufficient fresh air to grow healthy.
Boys and girls in order for our faith to grow healthy, there are four things we need to do:
- Make sure we have a humble and soft heart for the faith to grow; 2 we need the Holy Spirit to empower and guide us; 3. We need read God’s words daily; 4. We need to pray constantly.
Boys and Girls, commander has a memory verse for you today:
Jesus replied, “The Kingdom of God can’t be detected by visible signs. 21 You won’t be able to say, ‘Here it is!’ or ‘It’s over there!’ For the Kingdom of God is already among you.” (Luke 17:20b-21)